Well, looks like we are launching a bit earlier than originally planned. This site is fully functional, just a bit limited on some things as we get all the backend worked out. Our CSS is a work-in-progress due to some major differences from how reddit was set up, so that will be coming, it will just look a bit barebones until then.
For the time being we still consider reddit.com/r/kotakuinaction to be our primary site, but will be building this up as a proper backup over time. We actively encourage anyone who wants to coexist on both sites to do so, and have no issue with folks who have finally had enough of reddit's bullshit that decide to make the move here completely now.
Rules are generally going to be the same here as they were on /r/kotakuinaction, but we are thinning them out a bit as some rules no longer need to apply here due to different sitewide rules/TOS from above lifting some restrictions we had to deal with. We will try to get a more complete listing of the newly modified rules up soon, as well as get them listed/linked on the Sidebar and such. Automod is not completely operational here, but will be in the very near future to make that all a bit easier to deal with.
Please be patient with us as we get things in gear. I'll try to keep everyone updated on the progress of things, though some parts will be mostly self-evident as they happen (like the return of the banner/sidebar).
So we're getting quite a few new and lapsed users, and more than one person has asked us just exactly what KIA is.
So here's our mission statement, a basic description of what this place is for, and our half-finished rules still full of less-broken-than-I-thought-it-would-be reddit CSS and placeholder text. As you can clearly tell, THIS IS NOT DONE, we haven't even gotten started on figuring out how much of rule 3 we're gonna change...again...now that the admins are off our backs. For the moment we're allowing some shitposting and general partying, but at least now we'll have something to point to when someone goes too far past the line and needs a smack. Please bear with us as things are still very much under construction. Also, we need to do something about the character limit that's forcing me to put half of this into a sticky, so...SEE STICKY!
KotakuInAction is a platform for open discussion of the issues where gaming, nerd culture, the Internet, and media collide.
We believe that the current standards of ethics in the media have alienated the artists, developers, and creators who perpetuate the things we love, enjoy, and enthusiastically build communities around. We have observed numerous incidents involving conflicts of interest and agenda-pushing within media which we feel are damaging to the credibility of the medium and harm the community at large. We believe much of the current media is complicit in the proliferation of an ideology that squashes individuality, divides along political lines, and is stifling to the freedom of creativity that is the foundation of human expression.
KotakuInAction is a community that condemns willful censorship, exclusion, harassment, and abuse. It is a community that organizes to hold the media accountable to the concept of artistic freedom by standing up for the artist, the developer, the writer, the filmmaker, and all who enjoy the freedom to create, explore, and expand. It is a community that allows the exchange of information, supports the ongoing discussion of media ethics, and protects the right of the individual to embrace their personal interests in entertainment and fandom.
KotakuInAction is built around a core focus on reasonable, friendly discussion of the issues related to gaming culture, and those involved in it. That is not all we are about, but it's where we began and will remain our core. We hold ourselves to be politically neutral ground, not forcing anyone to conform in their opinions, and permitting a wide variety of viewpoints to express themselves in a civil manner.
Code Of Conduct for KotakuInAction
For the sake of making it easier to read, more transparent, and to cut back on confusion regarding which rules get dealt with in which way, we are pulling the warning/ban policy out of Rule 1 and moving it to stand independently so that other rules with specific policies are all in one place. The updated policy is as follows:
General Rule 1 Enforcement
You'll get two public warnings from the mods. Any offenses after that, and you'll get a 3 day temporary ban. Screw up again, and you're gone for a month. Screw up again, and you're not coming back.
Warnings will expire after 90 days. So if you got a warning and didn't screw up for, say, three months, and get warned again, that counts as your first warning on the road to being banned. However, if you received a temp ban for breaking Rule 1, it'll stay on your record, and won't expire for a year, so if you screw up after that before a year has gone by, you go to a 7-day/month-long ban and the year-long timer resets. Basically, don't screw around.
Rule 7 Enforcement
If a user is determined by at least two moderators to have violated Rule 7, they will be issued one warning not to do so again. If they repeat the behavior, as agreed upon by at least three moderators, they will be issued a 7 day ban. Doing so again (and agreed upon again by at least three moderators) will result in a permanent ban.
Other Rule Enforcement
All other rules will generally be enforced with a single warning followed by at least one temporary ban before any permanent ban is issued. The notable exceptions are Rule 2 (dox) and Rule 5 (personal army requests), which we reserve the right to immediately and without warning issue a permanent ban. In more severe or extreme cases of violations of other rules, should at least three moderators agree a user needs to bypass the standard warning/ban process and be moved straight to a permanent ban, such action may be taken, though this route should not be taken often.
Moderator Rule-Breaking Policy
Compared to regular Rule 1 enforcement, this is going to be bit more strict - first violation results in warning (publicly visible as all other warnings), second warning within a month will result in temporary suspension or permanent removal of permissions.
Reporting of mod violations should be done via modmail - please provide link to violation, rule violated and context, if necessary. If you don't want to report via modmail, you can also report to the head moderator directly. If you don't want that either, you may elect someone to report on your behalf. Nevertheless, links and context are required. Needless to say the mod in question won't be involved in evaluation of said violation.
- DON'T BE A DICKWOLF
Attack arguments, not people.
"Fuck off, retard," is not an argument. Neither is "Kill yourself, faggot." Regardless of whether you think someone is a shill, SJW, or whatever, stick to arguing the points. Name-calling does not contribute to discussion. Refer to the pyramid as a general guideline. If anything, just make sure your criticism outweighs any insults. However, well-reasoned arguments that end with parting shots like, "Stop being obtuse; even children understand this concept," are okay. Ostensibly, we're all adults here; a comment like that can just be ignored.
The core of this rule is primarily based on patterns of behavior, which fall into these categories:
Badgering and/or baiting another user across multiple threads or baiting after disengaging (mod enforced or otherwise), including persistent mentions and/or replies. Note that this generally does not apply to people that are outside the community, (e.g. "God, the guy who wrote that article is such a fucking retard."), but does apply in cases of tagging a user (e.g. "reallybadpersonidontlike you're a fucking mongoloid and you should go die in a fire.").
Posts and comments which are clearly not intended to generate discussion, but rather aimed at generating or maximizing as much drama and emotion as possible. Intentionally posting to make people angry.
Posts and comments intended to drive a wedge in the community, or to rally a mob to target users or communities, without the intent to hold a constructive discussion. Crusading eschews conversation, going beyond well-meaning criticism into behavior that includes excessive attacks against specific users, demands that action be taken against specific users, and/or bombarding a post with hostility towards KiA or specific users.
Don't resort to malicious name-calling, brazen insults, and/or general hostility against any individual user. Don't use identity politics or unironic slurs (that is, language intended to advocate blatant hatred) against groups of people. Don't make serious calls for violence against individuals or groups. If you're joking, please make clear you are joking so we don't have to slap you for it.
2. No Doxxing
We do not allow the publication of personal information, which is defined as:
1. Real names
Exceptions are made for "public figures," including (but not limited to) journalists, actors, published authors, and public-facing company personalities, as well as the subjects of published journalistic articles (limited purpose public figures). Facebook and LinkedIn pages may only be linked for corporations and public figures.
2. Phone numbers or addresses
Public contact numbers/address for companies (not including individual employees) are exempt.
3. Promotion of known doxxing sites
Certain websites exist for the primary purpose of collecting and spreading dox. You may not link to them, encourage others to visit them, or discuss them by name. The list of such sites can be found here. (link)
4. Other info which may be used to personally identify someone
Including personal e-mail addresses that are not intentionally available to the public, images of homes, etc.
If you are in doubt whether what you posted may constitute posting personal information, reach out to the moderator team. (link)
3. POSTING GUIDELINES
Posts on KotakuInAction must focus on one of the topics included in the whitelist and may not include a topic from the blacklist.
Post that do not meet this criterium will be removed. Removals due to Rule 3 alone have no consequences aside from the post being removed.
Meta Posts are excluded from this rule.
- Journalism Ethics
- Official Social Justice
- Media Meta
- Tabletop gaming, comics, sci-fi/fantasy, manga/anime, and derivative media of such
- Sub related OC Artwork
- Tech Happenings
Temporary Whitelist Items
- Unrelated Politics
- Memes (as in image macros)
- E-Celeb Bullshit
- Forum Noise (random users complaining on random forums [directly involved devs are exempt from this])
- Social Media Hot Takes
- Lets Plays
Temporary Blacklist Items
To pass unrelated pol, topics containing politicians; laws; government or major political organizations without direct relation to GamerGate, must be presented without partisan slant and the majority of the topic must focus on relevant actions or proposals, rather than their partisan or electoral implications.
Official social justice is defined as: The propagation or implementation of identity politics by institutions or companies of major size.
Tech Happenings is defined as: Significant events concerning the policies, business practices, algorithms, behavior, and corporate cultures of tech companies and social networks, especially where pertaining to free expression, identity politics, and anti-consumer activities, as well as legislation affecting tech spaces.
If you believe your post is of sufficient importance to the community but are concerned that it would not pass the above guidelines, please contact the modteam for approval
4. Posts must be intelligible
Non-English links must include a translation in the immediate comments from the OP. This can be either a full length translation, a copypaste of a machine translation, or a direct link to a full machine translation of the page.
All links to videos longer than 5 minutes will require either a comment by the OP or to be in a self post summarizing the relevant parts of the video to what they are trying to point out with it. Exceptions may be allowed if the title is clearly explaining what's going on with the link pointing directly at the relevant timestamp in the video.
Avoid mobile links if possible.
Yeah, yeah, I know, these aren't always weekly. Anyway, talk about what you've been playing lately in the comments below.
Or, if you have a question about a title, you can ask below as well.
Kotaku In Action
Dead Links (You May be Able To Find Archives)
WES - Win Enhancement Suite 👨🌾
Win Enhancement Suite (WES) is a suite of improvements that enhance your .Win communities browsing experience.
As many of you, I've been a TD Reddit user for many years before coming here, i grew accustomed to many of its features plus the features of the addon called RES (Reddit Enhancement Suite) and found myself really missing them, so after waiting a couple of months for someone to come up with a solution, a friend (/u/melvin) and i started talking shop about how it could be done (he is the 400 pound hacker that actually knows how to code) and so we began with this humble addon, it doesn't have many features right now but i think it brings enough QOL improvements for it to be shared.
You can view the GitHub repository of the addon and check the entirety of its code here: https://github.com/ilovestaples/wes
We really hope you like it and expect your feedback!
How to install:
- Install Tampermonkey on your favorite browser: https://www.tampermonkey.net (this handles userscripts, the code the addon is made of)
- Install the latest release of WES from HERE. (this is the userscript, the addon itself)
- 🆕Tags🆕 - Tag users with custom labels, click the tag 🏷 icon that appears when you hover a username and input your tag with your desired colors and text.
- Expandos - View tweets, images and videos from the most popular hosting sites on TD without having to leave the page - Click the icon to the right of the link to expand it.
- Communities bar - Easy access to the entire .win community.
- Expand content - Expand all content on the frontpage at once with a single click.
- Easy access to submitted/comments sections - Click on your submitted/comments karma score to access the corresponding section on your profile.
- Automatic quote - Copies highlighted text from a post and adds it as a quote in the reply box.
v0.1.2.0 (2020-09-23) -
- Added user tags and settings menu.
- Added GreatAwakening and IP2 wins to the navigation bar.
v0.1.1.5 (2020-08-26) -
- Added expando for maga.video links.
v0.1.1.4 (2020-08-21) -
- Fixed expandos not showing when replying to the OP.
- Added expando for banned.video links.
v0.1.1.3 (2020-08-15) -
- Fixed autoquotes not working in /messages.
- Added expando for Bitchute links.
v0.1.1.2 (2020-08-14) -
- Fixed expandos not showing in original posts.
- Added expando for Streamable links.
v0.1.1 (2020-08-10) -
- Added expandos, currently supports most links with direct image/video formats and youtube/imgur/twitter links.
v0.1.0.7 (2020-07-25) -
- Added automatic notification after updates
- Added css to the navigation bar
v0.1.0.6 (2020-07-20) -
- When replying to a comment, any highlighted text gets automatically added as a quote each time the reply button is clicked
v0.1.0.5 (2020-07-19) -
- Automatically add quote when replying with highlighted text
-Open to your suggestions, these are merely the first alpha versions of the enhancement suite.
Everything I see is either leftist or relentlessly mediocre.
What have you been watching lately? If you enjoyed it, share why, and if not, likewise.
Also, if you have any suggestions for future weekly threads, feel free to post them in your comment.
I know linking to the site was one of those No/No things but this has nothing to do with the content or a link to the site but the site ITSELF.
It's been almost 2 weeks since any content has been pushed, twitter is utterly silent, no comments from any of the usual suspects besides decrying that the *ist/*phobe site is dead.
Anyone have any insight or comments upon the dearth of information out there?
It's basically whishful thinking and I'm pretty sure it's a stupid idea. But I almost think if something happens post November 4, like more riots because of either candidates' win, CDPR would delay the game once more to "let more important voices heard" like they did with Night City Wire during summer.
I know it's stupid. One is a glorified conference that would be ignored in the news cycle, the other is a straight up release of a game and, more important, product that makes profit
As of today Sept. 4, 2020, this is a complete list of .Win communities:
- TheDonald.win THE ONE AND ONLY! "This forum is for serious supporters of President Trump." THE GREAT COMMUNITY THAT COULDN'T BE HELD DOWN BY u/spez WHO IS A CUCK(AMONGST OTHER THINGS)
- OmegaCanada.win OUR NEIGHBORS TO THE NORTH ARE DEALING WITH LEVELS OF WOKE THAT ARE YEARS AHEAD OF OUR LEFTARDS HERE IN THE GOOD OL' US of A. THEY NEED A PLACE TO VENT. SHOW THEM SOME LOVE!
- GavinMcInnes.win A .WIN DEDICATED TO AN E-WHORE WHO LIVES BEHIND A PAYWALL. BUT, STILL DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE DEPLATFORMED. GAVIN IS THE FOUNDER OF MULTICULTURAL WHITE SUPREMACIST GROUP PROUD BOYS, ALSO COFOUNDED LEFTWING FAKE NEWS OUTLET VICE. HE ALSO CREATED THE MODERN HIPSTER. GAVIN MCINNES IS VERY GOOD AT FOUNDING THINGS, BUT USUALLY ENDS UP GETTING A LARGE PAYOUT WHEN OTHERS FIND HIS LEADERSHIP TO BE LACKING.
- ConsumeProduct.win TECHNICALLY ECOTERRORISTS. I BELIEVE THE COMMIES CALL THEM "ECO FASCISTS". THESE GUYS LOVE THE PHILOSOPHICAL WORKS OF THEODORE KACZYNSKI. IF THEY STICK TO GARDENING, THEY'RE OKAY. OUR MEMBERS HERE AT TheDonald.win SHARE SOME THINGS IN COMMON. SOME OF THEIR MEMES ARE QUITE BASED. AND. DANK.
- KotakuInAction.win THE ALMOST-OFFICIAL GAMERGATE WEBSITE. THESE GUYS ARE ALL ABOUT FREE SPEECH AND ARE STILL MOSTLY "AN OPEN DISCUSSION OF THE ISSUES WHERE GAMING, NERD CULTURE, THE INTERNET AND MEDIA COLLIDE." DOES NOT ALLOW POSTS ABOUT "Unrelated Politics, Memes, E-Celeb Bullshit, Social Media Hot Takes, OR Lets Plays."
- KotakuInAction2.win THE OFFICIAL GAMERGATE WEBSITE. FOR GAMERGATE PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIGESTED BLACK PILLS. MEMBERS SAY THEY ARE NOT "blackpilled. Rather, we just recognized that KiA's absolutely narrow scope (and rule pedantry) was ignoring the broader and more insidious cultural issues that were invading the gaming space... And that limiting discussion only damages the accruement of knowledge and insight" SO OBVIOUSLY, THIS .WIN HAS A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO USE A LOT OF BIG WORDS! I THINK I EVEN UNDERSTAND SOME OF THEM! YOU'LL ALSO FIND LOTS OF BASED, DANK MAYMAYS ABOUT POLITICS, AND CULTURE, AND OTHER STUFF. THEIR SUBREDDIT IS SET TO PRIVATE. THEIR .WIN IS OPEN.
- WeekendGunnit.win DO YOU LIKE GUNS? DO YOU LIKE TENDIES? DO YOU HAVE A FOOT FETISH? ARE YOU A METHAMPHETAMINE AFFICIANADO? IS THEDONALD.WIN NOT BOOG ENOUGH FOR YOU? THIS PLACE IS AMAZING! I LOVE IT! I FEEL GUILTY FOR STILL BROWSING reddit.com/r/gundeals/ BUT THIS .WIN COULD EASILY TURN INTO AN INTERESTING ALTERNATIVE. UNFORTUNATLEY NOONE HERE CAN FIND A GOOD DEAL ON AMMO RIGHT NOW.
- GreatAwakening.win DO YOU FOLLOW Q? ARE YOU Q CURIOUS? THIS IS THE .WIN FOR YOU! Qtards, as they are maligned by the non-elect, who hold beliefs that many would characterize as 'strange', appear to be mostly socially conservative grandmas who have an affinity for Jesus, and America. Many appear likely to volunteer to make sandwiches with their local faith based charity, when they're not posting memes of bible verses and campaigning against satanic pedophiles, who have been too powerful for far too long. This is also weird considering that Q only posts on https://8kun.top/ SOME SAY Q IS "JUST A LARP". IF YOU COMMENT OR POST THAT NONSENSE IN THIS .WIN YOU'RE NOT GOING TO FIT IN WELL. IF YOU THINK THAT ANYTHING ANBODY SAYS IS ANYTHING OTHER THAN A SUPER SECRET CODED MESSAGE, MOST USERS HERE WILL FIND YOUR OPINIONS ADORABLE. WAKE UP SHEEPLE! BREAK THE CONDITIONING!
- IP2Always.win ABSOLUTE CANCER! STAY AWAY! IP2 stands for Ice Poseidon 2. It's all about degenerate streamers and their various drama and degeneracy. If you look at it and don't recognize anyone, you are blessed. The less you know about any of it the better. Kind of like gay porn. which a lot of that site is dedicated to. EVERYONE POSTING, COMMENTING, AND LURKING ON THIS .WIN IS SOME KIND OF SODOMITE. JUST ASK, THEY WILL CONFIRM THIS. THEY ARE ALWAYS GOING ON ABOUT STREAMERS AND THEIR NONSENSE AND DRAMA. PRAISE JESUS, I PRAY THAT ANYBODY ON THIS SITE BE BAPTISED IN CHRIST AND LEARN TO WALK IN RIGHTEOUS WAYS! AMEN. IP2 is basically just another version of lolcows. And, they've been kicked off of at least 2 platforms(reddit and saidit), already. Maybe they'll be able to fight the DMCA notices themselves now that they have their own domain. Maybe they'll be kicked off of the clearweb all together. Maybe they do serve a purpose? Perhaps everything that will happen to the other .win sites will happen to them first?
see https://communities.win/ "This is a restricted community where you can find important announcements and changelogs."